Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Sliceform Studio

I am sitting in the Eric Demaine's class on Geometric Folding. This course is not a typical Computer Science course that I enjoy. However, occasionally, it involves cool, interesting topics and tools.
Last week, I learned about Sliceform Studio, developed by former MIT student  Yongquan ‘YQ’ Lu under the guidance of Eric.

The idea is to use geometry to understand/reproduce the beautiful designs often found in Islamic (particularly Iranian) tiles and fabrics. I enjoyed a lot playing with this tool. The code is open source and one can play with it.
I discussed with Eric the idea of making a font with this tool. I believe one can make a beautiful font with an oriental look with Sliceform Studio. More details about the tool can be found in its website.
An example of the design that it generates is followed.




No comments:

Post a Comment